Monday, September 14, 2009

Jesus Loves Trailer Trash


When Jan first mentioned the craigslist posting of the trailer house, I was in a pretty mellow mood. I agreed to go take a look. My mood changed as we drove over. A trailer DUMP. White trash. What kind of people will I have to live around?  What will my family think? What will my friends think? What will I think, presuming I already know what everyone else thinks?
 
To my surprise, the trailer park looked like an Oregon State park - the best in the US.  Green, treed, a boulevard down one end, a beautiful pond, rock outcroppings, and flowers everwhere. To my surprise, the trailer house was adorable. To my surprise, I liked it - alot.
 
I believe, that for most of us, at least once in a lifetime we're faced with very difficult, life-altering decisions - and our future hangs in the balance. For me, this was it. I could continue to fake it financially, juggle bills like a Vegas act, live in quiet agony and force a smile around those I rubbed shoulders. Or, I could eliminate about $1000 a month in bills, make a modest investment in a home again, gain pride of ownership, and own up to my financial reality - all in one fell swoop.
 
I remember that Jan and I talked into the night. We talked serious. "Can we REALLY do this?"  "Will it REALLY pay off?" "My greatest fear is what people will think." We talked silly. "Jesus loves trailer trash". "Now, what IS a trailer house, really?" "So ... is it a trailer - or a mobile home?"
 
In the end, we decided to go for it. Moving into our trailer - warts and all (and there are plenty) - is the best choice we've made in years. We've gained peace of mind and we will save at least $60,000 in the next five years. And thats alot of money from where we're standing. 
 
I want to encourage those of you faced with one of these life-altering decisions. Be honest and open with yourself and your mate. Care enough about the two of you that you really listen to the pros and cons put forth, and do right by both of you. Look for consensus, not for 51% of the vote.  Make the decision you not only think is best, but you sense is best, in your heart and your soul, and make it with certainty, faith, and conviction.  By the way, Jesus really does love trailer trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment